Thursday, December 22, 2011

New York

I had a 23 hour stopover in NY in 2009 on the way back from a business trip, and managed to spend the day wandering around. Highlights were finding some good italian food and coffee in the East Village (not as easy as you might think in the US), and seeing a great gig at the legendary Blue Note Jazz Club.

The Edmar Castaneda Trio at the Blue Note. Very cool music - amazing to watch the physicality of Edmar's harp playing, and trombonist Marshall Gilkes can do things on the horn that are amazing. Great toe-tapping music with latino flair. I I hope I get Latino jazz harp playing angels if/when I go to Heaven!


Paquito D'rivera. He was joined at one point on stage by a bandoneon player (tango accordion) who was amazingly expressive and melancholic.


Something else blue that I'd never seen before. And couldn't eat because they were horrible. Maybe some things just shouldn't be blue.


Times Square



Empire State Building


View of the south and Wall St.




The "Seinfeld" Diner - a definite landmark on my to-see list! Unfortunately I didn't have enough time for a sit-down meal, but I would have loved to eat a Mars Bar with a knife and fork in there...